Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sauce for Summer Fruits


Summer fruits...part 2. Today I developed a new recipe - a sauce for summer fruits.

Zabaglione, as used in the fruit parfait on my website, is a classic sauce. Made with egg yolks, wine and sugar - like yum! It is cooked and beaten over simmering water until it is light and frothy. Let me clarify - it is light in texture although not light in calories!

Another classic sauce is creme anglaise - the rich custard sauce made with cream and egg yolks. Oh, yes, when I make this, I add orange zest to add nutritive value - LOL.

Today, my goal was to create a really quick and easy sauce that would be low in fat and calories, yet flavorful to compliment the fruit flavors with overpowering them.

Here's my recipe:
Combine 1 cup lowfat (2% milkfat) Greek strained yogurt, 1 cup vanilla pudding (made from a mix is fine) and 1 cup lowfat vanilla flavored yogurt. That's it! I said it was easy.

If you haven't tried Greek yogurt before, give it a try. Last year when I was talking to an Australian chef, working at a private villa on Santorini, Greece, he insisted I try 2% milkfat Greek yogurt. He uses it extensively in his creations. He was right - it's great!

The photo shows fruits with the sauce. Immediately after I took the picture, Steve gave the recipe a final taste test!

Let me know how this recipe works for you! You can email me from my website: www.foodstylist-maryholloway.com

1 comment:

  1. this type of usage are better for summer fruits keep it up your idea is amazing

    ReplyDelete