Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mole' Sauces in Oaxaca, Mexico


Mole' Sauces you can love -

If you've ever had Mexican food with a REALLY good sauce...you were probably enjoying a mole' sauce.

I remember eating one such sauce at El Abuelito in Jackson Hole, WY...thinking of that sauce makes my mouth water!!

Here is another shot of the breakfast offerings that were in the "hole in the wall" restaurant that I wrote about last time.

In an earlier blog, I wrote about the different colors and flavors of mole' sauces - literally ground concoctions. I didn't taste all of these, but these sauces are what makes the food sing!

I recently made 2 mole' sauces in my kitchen. One was green (mole verde) with tomatillos, green tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos, white beans and about a dozen other ingredients!

The other was a Coloradito Mole', a dark red color, with garlic, onion, tomatoes, oregano, chilies, raisins, almonds, Mexican chocolate, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and another dozen ingredients.

The process of making these sauces may be lengthy, but the product is worth it. When making a mole', cook up a large batch and freeze the extra in small containers. What a treat to have mole' sauces ready to add to something as simple as a sauteed chicken breast.....or on a grilled pork chop or with pulled pork....Or, for the vegetarians.....stirred into boiled beans and served in a heated corn tortilla!

Excuse me while I go get a mole' out of the freezer!



No comments:

Post a Comment